10 Best Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass In 2023
If your lawn hasn’t been performing well or planting a type of grass such as Bermuda, it is time to look for a new fertilizer and new maintenance methods. Bermuda grass is tolerant whether there is rain, drought, or tough weather conditions. It can withstand traffic, activity, and weather. It is your best bet if you want to have a green lawn.
However, performing to its best requires an effective fertilizer and ample water. Don’t just buy fertilizer because this grass is very sensitive and burns easily if the fertilizer is not applied well. To ensure you get the right fertilizer for your Bermuda grass, here is our guide with the best picks.
Table of Contents
Types of Fertilizers for Bermuda Grass
Other than knowing the NPK ratio, the market still has different types of fertilizers to choose from. Your personal preference and specific needs will determine the type of fertilizer to purchase. Let’s look at the different types of fertilizers so you can make a good decision.
Liquid vs. granular fertilizers
- Liquid fertilizers are suitable for lawn owners who want something easy to apply. They can be applied across your lawn using a sprayer and absorbed fast by the grass. Granular fertilizers come in small particles. However, they take longer to apply as you need to walk a fertilizer spreader across your lawn. Compared to liquid, granular fertilizers offer long-lasting results.
- There are some fertilizers with grass seeds to help you over seed and fertilize your lawn. A seeding fertilizer will work well if your Bermuda grass has many bare patches. Furthermore, seeding fertilizers are cost-effective in the long run.
Slow-release vs. quick-release fertilizers
- Slow-release fertilizers release their nutrients slowly for continuous feeding over a few days. Quick-release fertilizers release nutrients at once to offer an immediate grass boost. However, quick-release fertilizers need to be applied regularly if you want a healthy lawn.
Organic vs. synthetic
- Fertilizers made with organic materials tend to be more costly than synthetic ones. They have many chemicals hence the high price. Organic fertilizers are good because they are cost-friendly and safe for your soil and the environment.
- The market has fertilizers for disease control, and they are easy to apply. These fertilizers have fungicides that prevent lawn diseases. If your lawn is battling a disease, look for a fertilizer with disease-fighting ingredients.
Weed and Feed
- Specific fertilizers contain herbicides to kill weeds, broadleaf, and other turf grass weeds. The good thing about these fertilizers is that you don’t require to repeat the application process– because you both a fertilizer and weed control solution.
Factors to Consider When Buying The Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass
There are two types of fertilizer: slow-release and quick-release. Slow-release fertilizers take time to release nutrients, around 3 months.
It is ideal for established lawns, and it is very hard for your grass to get burnt. Quick-release fertilizers release nutrients immediately, making them ideal for newly seeded lawns or jumpstarting a struggling lawn. If not used per recommendation, it can easily burn the grass.
Organic vs. Synthetic
Both fertilizers have differences and pros and cons. Organic fertilizers are made from natural ingredients and are suitable for a long-term healthy lawn. However, synthetic fertilizers are expensive and take longer to give results. Synthetic fertilizers are made from chemicals and are good in the short term, but they can be harmful to your lawn if not applied well.
In a fertilizer, the ratio of phosphorous, nitrogen, and potassium is crucial because it determines how well the fertilizer will support the growth of your Bermuda grass. A higher NPK ratio means the fertilizer has more nutrients, which can help your grass grow thicker and greener.
Before you choose a fertilizer for your Bermuda grass, you also have to know the type of grass you have because of sensitivity to nitrogen. Moreover, consider the time of the year you will be using the fertilizer.
Liquid vs. Granules
Liquid and granule fertilizers have a lot to offer, and choosing between the two comes down to personal preference. Before you make your decision, keep the following things in mind:
Liquid fertilizers are absorbed by the grass more quickly than granule fertilizers, so they need to be applied frequently. Granule fertilizers can last for weeks, so they don’t need to be applied regularly.
Liquid fertilizer is easy to spread than granular fertilizers. They can be sprayed directly on grass, and they don’t need to be spread evenly.
Liquid fertilizers cost more than granular fertilizers, and most homeowners prefer them. However, they can become more cost-effective in the long run because they don’t need to be applied often.
Spring and fall are the best time to apply fertilizer to your Bermuda grass. You have to apply the fertilizer once a month from April through October. Besides, the amount of fertilizer you will need to use will depend on the size of your lawn and the type of Bermuda grass. Check carefully on the back of the fertilizer bag for application information.
The 10 Best Fertilizers for Bermuda Grass in 2022
#1. Simple Lawn Solutions 32 Ounce Nitrogen- Liquid Turf Spray Fertilizer
The commercial-grade lawn fertilizer is designed to energize your Bermuda grass and soil in all weather conditions. It offers new grass a quick start by ensuring faster root and leaf blade development.
This lawn energizer comes in a spray bottle with a ready-to-use hose-end sprayer that makes application easy. You only need to attach the garden hose to the spray head, ready. One container can cover up to 3200 square feet of lawn.
You can use this liquid fertilizer on any grass, but it works well on Bermuda. Also, it can be used on Buffalo, Centipede, Bahia, and Zoysia varieties. Since it is organic, it has seaweed and fish ingredients that are very important for your lawn. The ingredients feed your lawn with macronutrients for grass to grow thick and lush.
- The fertilizer is easy to apply
- It works well on all grass types, mostly Bermuda
- One bottle covers up to 3200sq. Ft
- Features humic and fulvic acid suitable for grass development
- The spray nozzle is small and doesn’t offer enough coverage.
#2. Scotts Turf Builder Southern Lawn Food
Feed your lawn this Scotts turf builder if you want strong roots that can handle caused by nature and human activity. It is one of the best fertilizers in the market that improves your lawn’s ability to absorb nutrients and water. The turn builder has no toxic chemicals or smell, allowing you to re-enter the lawn immediately after application.
It contains enough nitrogen and potassium to support your lawn’s health. The fertilizer does not contain phosphorous, making it less harmful to aquatic ecosystems. In addition, it is packed in a tough bag that is resistant to wear, and a single bag provides coverage of 5 000 sq. ft.
- The turf builder is non-toxic and safe for kids and pets
- It is phosphate-free and can be applied to any grass type
- Feeds to protect your lawn against heat and drought
- The formula is balanced and safe for all types of grasses
- Due to its high nitrogen amount, it can burn grass if you over-fertilize spots by mistake.
#3. Scotts EZ Seed Patch and Repair Bermuda grass 20 lb Fertilizer
This quality fertilizer allows your grass to grow thick and green. The Scotts special growing material absorbs water and nutrients like a sponge, surrounding the seed in a moist, protective layer.
Besides, it uses controlled release technology that feeds seedlings to jumpstart their growth. Each bit of plant food has enough nutrients to get a more even feeding, which leads to a green lawn. You can use it to protect against the tough Southern conditions like harsh heat, high traffic, on slopes, and dry areas.
- Ideal option for all types of grasses
- Keeps seeds protected from harmful diseases that attack newly planted seeds
- It can be used in all seasons
- Great for both summer and winter
- Overdosing can easily cause burns.
#4. Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass, 15 lb. Lawn Fertilizer
Whether starting a new lawn, planting new grass, or installing sod, Scotts Turf Builder for new grass is safe for use on any grass type. The fertilizer helps new grass grow strong roots, and it grows new grass 70% thicker and 35% quicker than traditional methods.
It has powerful nutrients that ensure the roots grow deeper and become stronger with time. Still, it allows your lawn to absorb nutrients better. The fertilizer’s ratio of 24-25-4 offers the nutrients required for developing healthy lawns. You can cover an area of up to 5 000 sq. ft because it is packaged in a spacious bag.
To maintain your newly planted grass, you will have to water it once a day or when needed to keep the grass moist. Then you have to continue feeding the lawn to maintain a thick, green appearance.
- The grass feeder is safe for any grass
- Allows grass to grow 70% thicker and 35% quicker
- It enhances fast root and blade development
- Can cover up to 5000 sq. ft
- It takes time to offer notable results
- It burns new lawns that are not well developed.
#5. The Andersons Professional PGF Complete 16-4-8 Fertilizer
This is a phosphorus-free fertilizer blend with nutrients that include humic acid, helping increase turf quality and reduce nutrients requirement. It has a 16-4-8 NPK ratio with more nitrogen than lawn experts recommended. It contains the right amount of phosphorus and potassium to ensure you have a thick and greener lawn than before.
The ingredients include humic and fulvic acid, which are essential to help process the nutrients in your grass. It doesn’t contain iron, but that shouldn’t be a problem keeping in mind it has humic and fulvic acids.
- A single bag offers a cover of 5000 sq. ft
- It improves your lawn’s ability to absorb nutrients
- Great for all turf types and all seasons
- Features high nitrogen content that supports faster grass growth
- The price is not favorable for anyone on a budget.
#6. Super Juice All in One Soluble Supplement Lawn Fertilizer
The Super Juice brings you this dry mix lawn fertilizer ideal for any lawn that is not performing to its best. It comes ready to use, where you only need to add water and use a sprayer to apply. Super Juice lawn fertilizer has a formula with humic acid and micronutrients, including 4% iron.
Humic acid enhances fertilizer application by increasing the plant’s ability to absorb nutrients. The formula has a blend of all the nutrients your lawn requires to stay healthy. One bag of this fertilizer can feed one acre or 43 560 sq. ft of lawn.
- Packed with nutrients that promote soil health
- The fertilizer is non-toxic for humans and pets
- It uses a newly improved formula with 4% iron
- Enhances strong and deep root development
- Not ideal for any homeowner who wants quick results.
#7. Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble Lawn Food, 5 lb
Miracle-Gro® lawn food is one of the most trusted fertilizers when it comes to offering beautiful results – it makes your lawn green a few days after application. It is not only suited for Bermuda grass but it can also be used for other types of grass. One bag has 5 pounds of fertilizer, which is more than enough to feed coverage of more than 4000 sq. ft.
It is specifically formulated for glass with high chelated iron and nitrogen, where it deeply feeds through roots and grass blades. Moreover, the 5-pound package has 4 individual packets; each can feed up to 1 800 sq. ft of lawn at the recommended application rate.
- It helps your grass to have strong roots and grass blades
- It offers you the fastest way to achieve a thick, green lawn
- The lawn food is simple to use
- It is non-toxic, making it safe for kids and animals
- If you apply it incorrectly, it will burn your lawn.
#8. Milorganite 0636 Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer
Here is an organic lawn fertilizer that doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals that can harm your lawn. This fertilizer is rich in nutrients that enrich your grass and improve the soil structure. It encourages greener grass growth with just ample iron and nitrogen to help your lawn without burning the grass.
Milorganite 0636 organic fertilizer has a 6-4-0 NPK ratio and comes in a 32-pound bag covering up to 2 500 sq. ft of Bermuda grass. You will love this fertilizer because it reduces the amount of time it takes to mow your grass. It is thick and full, but a lawnmower can glide through it.
- The fertilizer is reliable and reduces the need for watering
- It is child and pet safe
- It comes at an affordable price
- It is not climate-dependent, and it is suitable for all types of grass
- It has a powerful smell.
#9. Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food, 12.5 lb. - Lawn Fertilizer
Here is another reliable lawn fertilizer that helps your Bermuda grass grow strong roots that can withstand the stress caused by weather and activity. Moreover, it is designed to thicken your grass and improve your lawn’s ability to absorb water and nutrients.
The good thing about lawn food is that it has no toxins or harmful chemicals that can ruin your lawn. Kids and pets can play on the lawn even minutes after application. However, apply as recommended without overfeeding some areas to avoid discoloration and burns. In addition, it comes in a spacious bag that can feed a lawn of up to 5 000 sq. ft.
- It is easy to spread and use
- The fertilizer won’t burn your lawn when applied carefully
- Suitable for any grass type
- The sprayer is poorly designed.
#10. Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Weed and Feed
During fall, it is the best time to feed your lawn. With this quality fertilizer for your Bermuda grass, you can expect strong and deep roots for your lawn come next spring. It provides 2x more powerful weed control on your lawn than traditional methods. Besides, it feeds your lawn to build strong, deep roots to keep your lawn looking beautiful all year round.
It uses powerful Weed Grip Technology that grips the weed you see and the ones you don’t to allow strong and healthy grass to grow. Still, the fertilizer enables your grass to increase nutrients and water absorption.
- It offers your lawn all the nutrients it needs to withstand the stresses of activity, weed, and weather
- The fertilizer is not weather-dependent
- It helps build strong, deeper roots for a healthy lawn
- Not that much dependent on killing the weed.
Why Buy Your Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass from Amazon?
Unlike other online stores, you get many benefits by buying your fertilizer from Amazon. First, Amazon is a reputable company that will sell you only safe products for both you, anyone in your family, or pets. For instance, all the Bermuda fertilizers in our guide are non-toxic, and kids and pets can play on the grass minutes after application. Furthermore, they have good customer care and honor the warranty agreement. So, don’t hesitate to buy your fertilizer for Bermuda grass from Amazon. Your investment won’t go to waste.
Just like plants, your lawn also requires maintenance. You don’t need to spend much time or money on it. You need to invest in quality fertilizer to allow your Bermuda grass to grow thicker and greener. The right fertilizer will offer your lawn all the needed nutrients without burning. When looking for the best fertilizers, buy from Amazon as they are the best. Don’t just buy fertilizer because it suits your budget. Take your time to know its specifications, features, pros, cons, and application instructions.